Search This Blog

Friday, May 3, 2013


Let me start by saying that I don't even have cable TV. It's strictly rabbit ears at my house. I don't know what DVR is. Seriously.

But I overheard a family member talking about "The Walking Dead" recently, so I went online to see if there was anywhere I could watch it. You see, the plot sounded intriguing. Years ago, I watched all those zombie takeover flicks like Night of the Living Dead, Day of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead, etc. And while those movies were pretty cheesy by modern standards, the plot behind them always fascinated me. Simple, frightening, and inescapable. I mean, vampires and werewolves are bad news, but you can generally avoid them if you use a little common sense. You just wait for some poor, dumb, heroic individual to jump in with a wooden stake and take care of business for you. Problem solved.  But what do you do in a scenario where you are outnumbered 400,000-to-1 by slow, dumb cannibals who have no self-preservation instinct? I mean, you can't keep them at bay by waving a gun at them. Even Dracula wets himself if you're packing a crucifix.

So, needless to say, I got hooked. I'm not proud of it, but there you are. I am all caught up through season three. And I have to say that the plot is pretty much identical to Romero's old "NOTLD" trilogy. But the characters are WAY more developed. It's quite engrossing. And while most of them are varying degrees of annoying, they definitely pull you in. Because even annoying characters can be interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment